Tough losses don't dampen experience for Shaw, Hollingsworth and Barlow

by Bob Grotz, Delaware County Daily Times

Posted on March 7, 2020

Article originally appeared here:

HERSHEY - One by one the Delaware County wrestlers fell in the PIAA state wrestling tournament Friday, each harder than the other.

When the dust cleared only Hunter and Ryan Catka of Sun Valley were alive from a field of 10 Delco qualifiers.

Keito Shaw of Upper Darby, Griffin Hollingsworth of Garnet Valley and Chase Barlow of Strath Haven all came off the Giant Center scoreboard for the last time.

"It's the toughest tournament in the nation," Strath Haven coach Tony Gilliano said. "And there's a reason for that. You're happy getting here but you want more. A lot more. These kids worked their butts off getting here and when you fall short of your goal it's disappointing."

Batting leadoff, Shaw grabbed a quick 4-0 lead over Derek Keen of Central Mountain at 113 pounds. Shaw then was penalized three straight times for stalling, and just like that the match was tied at 4 in the third period.

In the last nine seconds, Shaw took the lead with an escape and then was taken down by Keen, who prevailed 4-1.

"Man, that was pretty tough," Shaw said. "I'm just more upset that I beat myself. I'm grateful for the opportunity and for being here. I blame myself. It's kind of crazy being in this atmosphere but I love it."

Shaw completed his senior season with a 34-8 record. He went 78-20 in basically two full seasons with the Royals.

On Thursday night Upper Darby heavyweight Julienne Laventure was ahead, 3-2, when he was called for stalling with one second left. Mike Miller of Plymouth-Whitemarsh eventually won in overtime. Laventure had the only takedown of the match.

Upper Darby coach Bob Martin still is seething over the call.

"I feel like he had the match taken away from him," Martin said of Laventure. "You don't call it with just one second. Let the kids decide it."

Like Shaw, Hollingsworth was defeated one win short of the blood round. In sudden victory overtime at 126 pounds, Hollingsworth figured he'd taken down Andrew Harmon of Bethlehem Catholic.

Instead Harmon got a handful of points out of the scramble and won 8-3.

"I thought I had two points but I didn't," said Hollingsworth, who finished the season with a 37-13 record. "The next thing I know I'm on my back. I was like, if that's not two, I don't know what it is. But that's alright. There was more I could have done. There was definitely more I could have done."

From his vantage point, Garnet Valley coach Rocco Fantazzi could feel Hollingsworth's pain.

"It could have gone either way," Fantazzi said of the takedown that wasn't. "It was questionable. That's the difference between winning and losing up here. But (Griffin) wrestled tough today. He's got a strong worth ethic and he'll bounce back. It's a great experience coming up here."

Barlow was defeated, 1-0, by Quinn Tobin of Spring-Ford, the guy he defeated, 4-0, last week in the Southeast Regional.

Shaken, Barlow vowed to return. He wants a place on the podium.

"It just motivates me to do better next year," Barlow said. "To move farther on. ... I don't want this feeling again."

Gilliano and Barlow, who completed the season with a 30-8 record, felt they'd earned some points in the match. It was one of those days. The finality was striking.

"Chase is one of the hardest working kids I've ever seen," Gilliano said. "We feel for him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him come back and be on the top of (the medal stand). That's the type of kid he is. This will be a motivator for us."

[ return to previous page ]